Although I have BTEC National and Higher National certificates in Mechanical and Production Engineering, most of my career has been spent working in IT. For the last 12 years I have been concentrating on High Performance Computing (HPC) for science. I am a skilled Linux and UNIX systems administrator, and have considerable experience in managing cluster computers.
- Greater Manchester
Schools/Colleges I have worked with
- Winstanley College
- Bedford High School
- Prenton High School for Girls
- Upton Hall School FCJ
- Archbishop Blanch C of E VA High School, A Technology College and Training School
- Shorefields Technology College
- St Margaret's Church of England High School
- Knowsley Park Centre for Learning serving Prescot, Whiston and the Wider Community
- Enterprise South Liverpool Academy
- St Chad's Catholic High School
- Tytherington High School
- The Byrchall High School
- Fred Longworth High School
- The Deanery Church of England High School and Sixth Form College
- St John Fisher Catholic High School
- St Mary's Catholic High School
What I can offer to schools
I can visit schools and colleges to deliver a talk about the role of High Performance Computing in our everyday life, even though we may not be aware of it, and the exciting career opportunities that exist. I am very open to the idea of working on HPC projects with STEM clubs, perhaps involving devices such as the Raspberry Pi. And it may well be possible to arrange school visits to STFC Daresbury Laboratory, where you can see the largest supercomputer in the UK. I'm open to ideas!
My Latest Post
In my previous post (http://networking.stemnet.org.uk/blog/punnet-raspberry-pis) I described how I'm building a cluster of Raspberry Pi computers which will help me to demonstrate how High Performance Computing (HPC) works.